A Painting A Day

Matthew Langley of  New York,  New York  is making A Painting A Day!

Why did you decide to do this project? 2014 was a really creative year for me. Without expecting it, I started on a new body of artwork that has been received far beyond my modest expectations. At the same time it got me thinking about my work and how I have been pursuing new images in my work. I realized I was plowing through ideas at a fast pace and I got really energized by that.

This last December I had a show of my artwork at a gallery and had a great experience. One of the things I was able to do during the installation process of that show was to develop a deep conversation about painting with a fellow artist there. These conversations were very unlike other artist conversations. They were full of detailed technical approaches and open honest questions about the approach of both of our works. In short, they were a feast of knowledge gained by actually making art and listening to others.

I have become determined to expand this knowledge and I've decided to push it as hard as I possibly can for the new year. I have decided to do a painting every day of the year.

These artworks may come as quite a shock to people who have always viewed my work as being exclusively hard edged. During the course of this year I am trying to focus on approaching this work with openness, eagerness, and a lack of preconceptions of the final outcome. I’m hoping to find new ways of working and discovering qualities about my work that are currently unknown to me.



 How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life?  As far as life changing experiences go, I’ve been into this now for one month, so it’s very early to tell. While nothing has been exceptionally groundbreaking, there has been a sense of understanding of the tasks at hand and a freedom that has allowed me to loosen up my artwork and to let more in – as opposed to parsing more out. Currently that has been the biggest change – getting out of my own way and letting the artwork flow.

See all of Matthew's painting HERE.




No comments: