A Bird A Day

Stripygoose in London created a bird a day for a year from September 1st 2013 to August 31st 2014!




Why did you decide to do this project? I came across mailart 365, thanks to working alongside its founder, Andy Hoang, for a while, and was immediately interested. So I started making and blogging mailart every day for a year, and completed my first 365 in March 2013. I loved it so much I knew I wanted to repeat the experience and decided, as I’m stripygoose and drawing and collaging birds makes me happy, it had to be a bird a day. I was really tempted by the challenge of having a single theme for all 365 postcards.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It’s brought me a tonne of enjoyment and connected me with mailartists all over the world. Now, other mailartists send me bird art in the post and that’s wonderful too.

The happy-sense of achievement is a great feeling. The daily practice has a surprising and liberating effect, in spite of it being a routine. It also guaranteed that I spent time every single day doing something I like doing. That can’t be bad can it - sometimes it was only a few minutes, sometimes longer, but always worth it.

Inspired by all of this, I have started going to a fantastic, local community arts group and am amazed to say I have exhibited some of my art in galleries too. I’ve rediscovered a love of art.


See all of Stripygoose's birds HERE and HERE.



No comments: