The Daily Make

Reanna Alder in Joshua Tree, California is documenting what she devotes her hands to each day in The Daily Make...


Why did you decide to do this project? 
Photographing and sharing my daily projects is a way of acknowledging the making that I do and encouraging myself to do more. I'd been taking a photo a day privately, as a kind of journal, for a year and a half already so I knew I could do it. Then listened to a podcast in which Austin Kleon talked about how he uses social media, and I got a new camera and wanted to learn to take beautiful photos. It was early January, a perfect time to start new things.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It has foregrounded "making" in my day, which has brought me much more focus and productivity, along with a little anxiety. I find myself keeping a list of ideas and planning ahead: What will I make tomorrow? Do I have the supplies for that? What can I squeeze in on a work day?

Knitting has been a really good backup project for busy days, so I'm planning to start a sweater, which I've never done before and probably wouldn't have without the project.

Some of my most popular posts have been about things that felt kinda goofy to me, like the day that I posted about digging holes.

It's also made me realize how repetitive a lot of (my) creative projects are. A quilt takes days and days of doing basically the same thing. That's been interesting to acknowledge (maybe I'm more dedicated than I knew!) and also a photographic challenge, to keep showing the project in fresh ways.

I have a few trips planned for this summer, and keeping the project going while travelling should be very interesting.


Follow Reanna's making HERE.

2 comments:

Alderrr said...

Hi Noah,
The top photo belongs to Sherri Lynn Wood, and was a reblog. Not my work!
Otherwise, thanks for sharing this.
Reanna

Noah said...

Thanks for the heads up, I've changed the image.