A Pi A Day

Amy Phelps in Hickory, North Carolina is making a A Pi A Day... 






Why did you decide to do this project? 
I have always been a bit of a number nerd. I'm also unusual in the sense that I am a right-brain dominant math teacher. It seemed only natural for me to turn my passion for numbers into some sort of art. I chose pi for the infinite (pun intended) possibilities and the added challenge of expanding on the wealth of pi-related puns and art already out there.





How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I have been writing daily for about six years now. After reading Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, I began the practice of daily morning pages. This practice has led me to unlock a whole world of creative energy that I've kept locked away because it "wasn't practical" or "wasn't important enough". I've learned to embrace my creative spirit and indulge my creative instinct in ever-changing ways. Because of daily writing, I've taken up painting, collage art, and art journalling. I'm excited to see where this particular journey takes me as I create a mashup of my two selves - the logical sequential math teacher and the "what if" dreamer that has only begun to express herself.



See all of Amy's slices of Pi HERE.

No comments: