Make A Thing A Week

Kit McSmash in Virginia decided to pull herself out of a creative rut and Make A Thing A Week...






Why did you decide to do this project? I was having a bout of art block that made me think I'd eventually slow down on sewing altogether (it will NEVER happen!) and knew a change was needed. This was just sort of a fun idea I had been kicking around. I started it after spending 2 weeks in Japan and having my head get crammed full of ideas for stuff to make. I just wanted to do something for a fun creative change.







How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I've always been an artsy craftsy kind of person since childhood (thanks, mom) so making things has always been part of my life. But I was getting a little bogged down with the daily grind, etc. It was time for a change of project pace. So I started Make A Thing A Week. At this point, there isn't a day that goes by where I'm not thinking up ideas and scribbling them down on whatever paper is lying around if I'm not in my studio. Before Make A Thing A Week, I hadn't been drawing as much, but now scribbles and sketches are coming out which lead to more projects and sometimes pulling bizarre ideas out of thin air. This project also is helping to shave down the incredibly massive amount of fabric I apparently had been hoarding since college as an added bonus. I find myself looking forward to doing projects, even if they're small ones, and the joy is back in creating for fun (even with self-imposed deadlines) and more non-Make A Thing projects are coming out too. I currently have a closet full of costumes that would make my 7 year old childhood self green with envy.


See all of Kit's Things on her site (and even buy them if you like) HERE.

No comments: