A Year in the Trees

Alycia Helbling in Portland, Oregon is creating A Year in the Trees.




Why did you decide to do this project? My main career involves helping others, and art is for me. I care for myself by spending time in nature, with trees, and by appreciating the Earth through spending time observing and translating natural things into art. Choosing to do a project every day has given me even more of an excuse to take the time to mindfully experience the natural world around me. Trees, in particular, have always been exceptionally important to me . They give me strength, oxygen and wisdom.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I see more. I notice every tree on my walks to and fro. I notice how the branches grow in different directions on different trees. I feel calmer and happier having spent more time observing and creating. I also have tried new mediums I had never thought to use, or have been nervous to try. Doing art every day has helped me dive in and get my feet wet more often and more freely. I am really grateful for what I have experienced so far and I am looking forward to the rest of the year.

See all of Alycia's trees HERE.






No comments: