A Flamingo a Day Keeps the Doctor Away - 365 Flamingos

Christy Wyatt in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is creating A Flamingo a Day Keeps the Doctor Away - 365 Flamingos...


Why did you decide to do this project? I had recently undergone brain surgery, and felt that I needed some type of daily activity, something focused, to help me cope with the recovery process in a positive way. I came across your blog, ordered the book, 365: A Daily Creativity Journal, and thought that this was the perfect outlet for me. I have always found art, and the creating process, to be very healing. This is my form of art therapy, I suppose. Hence, the title of my blog. I love your suggestion to choose a theme, because I tend to get sidetracked very easily, and this provides the focus that I need. I live in a very quirky neighborhood that has taken on the Pink Flamingo as a mascot, and that is what inspired my theme. (this is an article that describes my hood)



How has doing a year long/daily project altered your life? I am only 23 days into it, but it has already had a profound effect on me. It is providing the jolt that I need to keep going, happily keep going, during a particularly difficult time in my life. It keeps my spirits up and helps me to lighten some of the things that I am having to cope with.

One example : A few days ago, I had to go to the emergency room for problems with my VP shunt. I mentioned to my mother and my daughter that I needed to figure a way to get my daily flamingo. My daughter happened to have an ATC that I had made of a flamingo in her wallet. She propped it up on the monitor next to my bed and took a picture with her iphone so that I would have an image to post. My pain level at the time was at about 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest. That simple act gave me something else to focus on, distracted me from the pain in my head, and it made a difficult day more bearable. That is what creating daily does for me - it gives my days a positive spin, no matter what obstacles I may face. It puts a smile on my face.


See all of Christy's flamingo's HERE.

No comments: