365 Days of Creative Canning

Megan Forsyth in Perth, Western Australia is doing 365 Days of Creative Canning. She explains it as: "A new canning-related creation each day. Preserving fresh fruits and vegetables. Delicious jams and jellies. Lovely relishes and spreads. Healthy soups and stews. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks. Photographing stages from ingredients to method to final product. These photographs accompany a review of each recipe with the source listed so anyone else can follow what I have done."



Why did you decide to do this project? For many years I have made jams and the occasional chutney or sauce. Only a few months prior to beginning this challenge, I learnt how to safely process (hot water bath canning and pressure canning) more produce - so when fruits and vegetables are in season I can preserve them so our family can enjoy them year-long! Undertaking 365 days of canning was important to me to teach myself more about these canning methods and to learn to use local, fresh produce.




How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It hasn't been too hard to incorporate into daily activities - I find it quite relaxing pouring over a recipe and seeing the final creation, photographing stages to share and inspire. Every day we are using jars of something I have canned - whether it's puree fruit for my youngest, canned fruit for my four-year-old or meals and sides for dinner for my family. I am learning more and more every day, it is very exciting to see what you can can and makes it very handy after a busy day working! I have made so many friends and connections worldwide from sharing my experiences and exploring more about this craft.


See all of Megan's canning projects HERE.

No comments: