A Year of Billy Joel

Will Stegemann in Los Angeles, CA is spending a year listening to every song ever released by his least favorite musician Billy Joel! He calls it a Year of Billy Joel...




Why did you decide to do this project? For years I have written Billy Joel off as a middle of the road singer songwriter who did not deserve to be taken seriously. However I made this judgment without listening to all of his music. Over the years many people have told me I should look deeper into his music so I'm giving it a try.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It's important to note one thing about this: I'm doing this seriously. It would be easy to take cheap shots at someone I haven't taken seriously but that's lazy and accomplishes nothing. I've really been giving this music a chance and three positives have come from it already.
  1. I am writing something every day, this is always a plus for me.
  2. I'm discovering that there are some hidden gems of songs
  3. I've realized that there are other artists and musicians I have overlooked and I have begun to give them the same consideration.
On top of all that I get emails from people who tell me about their favorite songs and share their experiences with Billy Joel songs. It's been a lot of fun.


Read about all of Will's Billy Joel experiences HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is ironically really funny! My dad who used to be in the music business met Billy Joel when he was trying to get recording deals and said he was a punk with no talent. I guess that was the hot ticket back then... I actually love him though...